Monday, October 30, 2006

Trout Fishing Lakes with Spinners

Today was one of those great trout fishing days! I had planned to fish in Lynx Lake, but due to a prescribed burn, the lake was closed. So I headed over to Goldwater Lake instead. As it turns out, the lake had just been stocked two hours earlier!

Fishing a freshly stocked lake can be very exciting. Trout raised in hatcheries are used to shallow water. So after being planted in the lake, they tend to hang out close to the shore the first couple of days.

They were jumping all around the lake today. I caught several using a Blue Fox strobe spinner. If you're not familiar with spinner fishing, the setup is really simple. I usually have 6 or 8 lb test on my spinning reel. Then I add a swivel to the line and clip the spinner to the swivel. When fishing with spinners, I don't use any sinkers. But on day like today, you don't need to get far out into the water to catch the trout!

It only took me about an hour to catch my limit (6 trout). Folks all around me had their limits pretty quickly as well. But nobody wanted to leave the lake today. Folks just kept on fishing and releasing the trout back into the lake so they could be caught another day!

No comments:

Post a Comment